Category Archives: 3d

Firebunny – character turnaround

I forgot I hadn’t posted this. This was the concept art and turnaround for an assignment last year. I still quite like it, and given the chance to do the concept art again, I’d probably do it much the same way. I kept in mind how the model should animate and how I’d like different aspects bits of textures to bleed into each other. It was a lot of fun thinking about how the materials should work.

By the way, long term readers of this blog may have noticed I never posted the final of the firebunny. That is because the final sucked.

However, here is a look at how the model progressed

Here is the model with just the diffuse texture

And here is an early render, with the specularity and alpha all loaded in

3d: environment lighting and textures

It’s been a little while since I posted some of my 3D work*. Time to fix that!

My work on the latest assignment for class

 There’s a lot I could have done a lot better on this, particularly on the texturing 🙁 The models I intentionally kept simple.

The most fun part was playing with the fur settings, which I applied to the carpet – I think it works quite nicely. Yay!

 *Not completely without reason – our last assignment in class was an animation one, and our usual rendering program was having licensing issues when I tried to render it. Bah. And the good ol’ Firebunny was giving me some…special issues throughout.

monday night lifedrawing 2011 08 01 + a wip

Late posts for the latest Monday night life drawing! Mostly because I wasn’t very happy with what I did this time.

The first drawing took roughly forty minutes. Thirty minutes into this we realised we’d forgotten to turn on a strong light source, so my shading looks like a mixed of the strong shadows and the more neutral ones from the start of the session. Not a terribly flattering drawing, unfortunately. With the second picture, I was working more from the new light source and pushed a bit harder with how much I can do with an ink wash.

The more life drawing sessions I attend, the more I learn about myself, my art preferences and different tips I can work into other things. For example, as much as I love vellum for markers, I do not like it so much for soft, smudgeable charcoals and pencil washes.

To fill out this post a bit more, here’s a screenshot from the rough what was going to be my latest piece for my current assignment in class:

An early draft from an environment design 3d modelling+texturing assignment
An early draft from an environment design 3d modelling+texturing assignment

This would have been my latest piece if I hadn’t lost the file anyway :B

 

 

 

 

 

Painted firebunny

While I wait for my camera to charge so I can post this week’s Monday Night Life Drawing, have a preview of my current assignment: the Firebunny, now textured.

Eyes have also been textured, but not included in this shot.

The model was unwrapped and textured entirely in 3d coat. There are probably some things I should take fix up in Painter and make a little bit more delicate etc, but I was surprised how easy it was to paint onto the model directly in 3d coat – and how crazy easy it was to do up a textured normal and spec map in the same way. Originally I had only planned to lay on rough colours in 3d coat (especially with it being so easy to make sure painting is consistent across seams, which is one of the things that does bother me when I paint an unwrapped UV Map), but after a series of interesting accidents on my part I ended up doing the whole thing in the program.

What isn’t showing in this screenshot is the effects of the alpha map – There are bits that are supposed to be partly transparent. Hopefully I’ll show you what I mean in the next render I upload.

Firebunny: 3d Model WIP

Our current assignment at school is modelling a hi-poly non-human character. It was a fun chance to revisit a design from earlier this year/occasionally dreamed up previously:

I had a much better understanding of the firebunny and it seemed much more suited for an animation assignment than the much more stoic woodbunny. I still intend to model the woodbunny eventually – the firebunny needs her friend!

This is where I’m up to with the model:

As with the previous model, there are still things I’m learning. For example, extrude from the limbs BEFORE joining to make sure that there are nice edge loops around the joints, instead of having to make stuff up later. >:( Still, frustrating as it is to make mistakes, the learning process itself is heaps of fun. Making firebunny is also noticeably easier than making Robomaiden was, and I am much more familiar with human than rabbit anatomy, which at least proves I have learned something.

We have a limit of 30k polys (or tris on the screenshot). Big bunny, and I’ve hit the fiddling-for-the-sake-of-pre-deadline-fiddling point, so I think she’s just about done.